Monday, April 23, 2007
Mommy Brain
Yesterday, I had one of those Mommy Brain moments. But this wasn't just a little Mommy Brain moment, like walking into a room and forgetting what you were doing or going to Target for diapers and coming home with everything except diapers. No, this was a combination of many Mommy Brain moments in a short period of time that makes me wonder why I even leave the house sometimes.

My sister was in town this weekend for the MS 150 bike race. She is a massage therapist and was doing massages at the finish line downtown. I don't get to see her very often since we moved to Austin, so I decided to take the kids down there to hang out and have lunch with her. Jim wasn't feeling well, so he stayed home. I was dubious about handling both kids downtown in the large crowds of people, but I decided to go anyway. So, I drive down there and spend around 45 minutes looking for a place to park. I finally found a parking garage that wasn't too far away and parked the car. I put Fiona in the stroller and made Abhi hold on to the stroller so we wouldn't get separated. We walked the 2 blocks down to where my sister was set up and found her tent. We all went and ate some overpriced food and listened to some live music. She had to go back to work, so the kids and I left. I walked back to the parking garage and started looking for my car. I couldn't find my car. This is where it starts going downhill.

Jim called about that time to see when we were coming home. I told him that I couldn't find my car in the garage, but as soon as I found it we would be on our way. After wandering around the parking garage for a while, I decide to pull out my keys and use the panic button to see if the car was close enough to make the alarm go off.
My key were not in my purse. Oh shit. I then flashed back to when I was taking the kids out of the car and I put my keys on top of the car. Oh SHIT! I called Jim back and said "I think I have a problem. I can't find my car or my keys and I think I left the keys on top of my car." He asked where I was and I told him the closest intersection. He said he would come down there and find me. It is a really good thing I am not prone to panic, because I probably would have been panicking right about then.

I looked around the parking garage again and realized that I might not be in the right garage. So, I went back out to the street and started walking down a little further. I called Jim back and told him not to leave yet because I was in the wrong parking garage. Abhi was started to get tired of walking and Fiona was getting hungry, which was making this more stressful on all of us. It was also starting to rain a little. After checking two more garages, I finally found the right garage. I walked up to the area where I was parked and found my car....with the keys still sitting on top. What a relief! I called Jim back and told him that I found my car and keys and I was on my way home.

I was soooo lucky that my car wasn't stolen. I think if this had happened in Houston, my car would have been halfway to Mexico by the time I realized what happened.

Lesson Learned #1 - Do not put keys on top of the car when getting the kids out. (This is actually the second time I have left the keys on top of the car, but the first time was when I was dropping off the kids at Z's apartment. The car was in sight and I was only gone for 10 minutes)

Lesson Learned #2 - Make SURE you know which garage you are parked in downtown because they all look the same inside and out.


1 Comments:

Blogger mollybeesmamma said...

If you ever need some extra help on outings, call me! You know I don't really ever have anything going on :)

Good advice; I've started leaving my keys on top of the car--as opposed to my mouth where Molly likes to take them from me.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer